Monday, September 11, 2006

Spank Rock - YO YO YO YO YO

Naveen Juwan of Spank Rock is a dirty man. I've read other reviews on Spank Rock and supposedly his lyrics are meant to be ironic - I don't buy it myself - he's got a filthy mouth and there's no two ways about it. Lyrics like oooh your pussy gets damp from Backyard Betty and Honey honey see me/Behind my Gameboy I got game, girl it comes easy,/Let go your shoulders, my popsicle is so sweetsie/Slam back that Sparks, don't hesitate and you'll believe me/Ya bitch believe me from Bump pretty much speak for themselves. He likes talking about birds alot - anyway I digress - Spank Rock are good, very good. I saw them at Clwb Ifor Bach in Cardiff about 2 weeks ago and was immediately impressed - they do interesting beats and use clever samples and sounds like telephone tones, cow bells and reverberated violin pluckings to name a few of them. Released on Big Dada records (home of Ty and Roots Manuva) they sound like Talib Kweli, Mos Def, Dizzee Rascal (in the way its quite stripped back but pumping) and a little El-P production wise. A few people out there have been saying they could be as popular and accessible as The Neptunes and Timbaland and i agree. There's enough songs on YO YO YO YO to keep you interested. Besides Backyard Betty and Bump look out for Rick Rubin (available to sample below) and Far Left which uses the sound of an engaged telephone and perhaps the sound off Mario Brothers when you get yourself an extra life or land yourself a mushroom - that could be bollocks but that's what it sounds like to me!

Rick Rubin

Check out 'Put that pussy on me' on their myspace as well which lifts some great samples:

http://www.myspace.com/spankrock

Also check out:

http://www.myspace.com/baltimorebassconnection

This is a compilation of songs from their Baltimore Crew, i recommend the 50 ways Remix.

Thanks to http://trendzilla.wordpress.com/ for transcribing lyrics - I would have been up all night without it.



1 comment: